On December 4, 2019, at 12:30 PM, Harris Bricken attorney Daniel Shortt and Cascadia Intellectual Property attorney Krista Wittman will be presenting at a seminar put on by the Washington State Bar Association’s International Practice Section titled “U.S. and International Aspects of Cannabis Laws and Legal Practice.” Additional information on the event is available below and on the International Practice Section page.
The presentation will cover the following:
The passage of the 2018 Farm Bill opened the door to importing and exporting hemp in the United States, at least in theory. Cannabis remains illegal under federal law and states that have legalized cannabis sales do not even allow cannabis to cross state lines, let alone international borders. Daniel Shortt will discuss how U.S. cannabis policy impacts the growing international cannabis market.
National laws can also greatly affect whether and how intellectual property rights for cannabis-related businesses can be obtained. Patent attorney Krista Wittman will discuss her experience prosecuting cannabis-related patent and trademark applications in the United States as well as in select foreign jurisdictions.
The international cannabis market is quickly becoming a reality as countries change their laws and policies on cannabis. Attorneys from both our international and cannabis practice groups are fielding an up-tick in questions on cannabis trade. For more information on the international cannabis market, check out these recent posts:
- Cannabis Legalization Roundup: Mexico, Luxembourg, Switzerland
- Should You Import Hemp to the United States?
- ICMYI: Cannabis Edibles, Extracts, and Topicals Are Now Legal in Canada
- Border Woes: Transporting CBD into Canada is Not OK
- Cannabis Branding: New Rule Requires U.S. Attorney for Foreign Applicants and Registrants
- International Cannabis: Breaking the Law, Staying Honest
- Seven Things Foreign Companies Should Consider When Investing in U.S. Cannabis
- International Cannabis: Selling Worldwide
- Cannabis and International Trade: Never the Twain Shall Meet?
We hope you can join Daniel and Krista on December 4th! Register here.
Date: Wednesday, December 4, 2019
Time: 12:30 P.M. – 2:30 P.M. (registration begins at 12:00 PM)
Credits: 2.0 Law and Legal Procedure
Tuition: $35 Standard, $0 International Practice Section Member, $18.75 Law Student
Foster Garvey PC
1111 Third Avenue, Suite 3000, Seattle, WA 98101